- Download Your State’s Advance Directives
Caring Connections provides free advance directives and instructions for each state that can be opened as a PDF file. Permission is granted to download a single copy of any portion of these texts. Use by individuals for personal and family benefit is specifically authorized and encouraged.
- OHIO Healthcare Power of Attorney (HCPOA)
A document that names someone else to make decisions about his or her medical care if he or she is unable to communicate. (PDF 12 pages)
- Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) Order
A doctor’s written order instructing the healthcare team not to attempt cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) when the heart or breathing stops. A person with a DNR order will not be given CPR when this happens.
– Ohio DNR (PDF 8 pages)
– Kentucky DNR (PDF 2 pages)
– Indiana DNR (PDF 1 page)
- The Living Will
A Living Will gives you a voice in decisions about your medical care when you are
unconscious or too ill to communicate. As long as you are able to express your own
decisions, your Living Will will not be used and you can accept or refuse any medical
treatment. But if you become seriously ill, you may lose the ability to participate in decisions about your own treatment.
– Ohio Living Will (PDF 7 pages)
– Kentucky Living Will (PDF 8 pages)
– Indiana Living Will (PDF 1 page)
- What is MOLST / POST?
Medical Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment (called MOLST in Ohio) and Physician Orders for Scope of Treatment (called POST in Indiana) is a program designed to improve the quality of care patients receive at the end of life by putting patient goals for care and preferences into medical orders.
– What is MOLST / POST? (PDF 1 page)
– MOLST Cincinnati Form, to be printed on goldenrod-colored paper (PDF 2 pages)
POST IndianaForm, to be printed on pink-colored paper (PDF 2 pages)
– IndianaPOST.org (website)
– Pennsylvania POLST Form, to be printed on pulsar pink
card stock(PDF 2 pages)
- One Slide Five Questions
Use these 5 questions to check yourself. Have you and your loved one covered everything? (PDF 1 page)
- NBC News with Brian Williams – The Conversation
Paul and Jean Pearson have a conversation about end of life care with Nurse Practioner Jackie Kartman to clarify their perspective and values. (8:14 minutes)