We don’t lose our voice in choosing the care we want because we’re unable to speak. We lose our voice when we haven’t told someone what we want. Once you have decided what you want at the end of your life, you need to choose someone to speak for you if you are unable to speak for yourself. The person you name is called an Agent or Surrogate. Click on the links below to learn how to name someone to speak for you:
  • Advance Directives: including Living Will, Donor Registry, and Health Care Power of Attorney
    An Advance Directive is a general term that describes two kinds of legal documents, living wills and medical powers of attorney. These documents allow a person to give instructions about future medical care should he or she be unable to participate in medical decisions due to serious illness or incapacity. Each state regulates the use of advance directives differently. (PDF 23 pages).